RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
Having a personal relationship with God starts the moment we realize our need for Him, admit we are sinners, and in faith receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. God, our heavenly Father, has always desired to be close to us, to have a relationship with us. Before Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden (Genesis chapter 3), both he and Eve knew God on an intimate, personal level. They walked with Him in the garden and talked directly to Him. Due to the sin of man, we became separated and disconnected from God.
What many people don’t know, realize, or even care about, is that Jesus gave us the most amazing gift—the opportunity to spend eternity with God if we trust in Him.
“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” Romans 6:26
If we accept this gift, we have become acceptable to God and can have a relationship with Him.
Jesus said this before He died, and after He died, the Holy Spirit became available to all who earnestly seek to receive Him. He is the one who lives in the hearts of believers and never leaves. He counsels us, teaches us truths, and changes our hearts. Without this divine Holy Spirit, we would not have the ability to fight against evil and temptations. But since we do have Him, we begin to produce the fruit that comes from allowing the Spirit to control us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).
Relationship with God is not as hard to find as we might think, and there is no mysterious formula for getting it. As soon as we become children of God, we receive the Holy Spirit, who will begin to work on our hearts. We should pray without ceasing, read the Bible, and join a Bible-believing church; all these things will help us to grow spiritually. Trusting in God to get us through each day and believing that He is our sustainer is the way to have a relationship with Him. Although we may not see changes immediately, we will begin to see them over time, and all the truths will become clear.
John 14:15-17, ROMANS 6:23, GALATIANS 5:22-23
- What does it mean to have a relationship with God?
- What do you desire in building a relationship with God?
- Can we build a solid relationship with God if our motive is for self?
- How can we build a deep or personal relationship with God?
- If I put God in charge, will i walk around possessed and out of control?
- In what ways does the Holy Spirit help us in our relationship with God?
- What attitude should we have in our relationship?
- Mention some of the things that can spice up (strengthen) our relationship with God. How?
- How do you think developing a healthy fear of God would help your relationship with him?
- How do you feel about intimacy? How do you think your feelings about intimacy affect your relationship with God?